RE: Default CME555 too big

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 15:19, Eric Castle wrote:
> RE: Too big
> Interesting.  I ran powerpc-eabi-size on my hello.elf program that was about
> 1 MB, and it printed out the following:
>
> % powerpc-eabi-size hello
> 	text		data	bss	dec	hex	filename
> 	52040		0	16420	68460	10b6c	hello
>
> Which does seem to indicate a much smaller executable.  I compiled eCos
> without the "-g" flag, and a huge portion of that 1 MB went away.  So I
> guess I shouldn't be having trouble fiting stuff into external RAM.

This is probably the most common error that folks seem to make.  The
executable file (ELF format) is full of debug and other structural
information.  The actual code+data which needs to be loaded in your
target hardware will be very much smaller, especially if you compile
with -g (the eCos default)

> RE: gdb
> Ack, sorry, yes, I run the load command as well:
>
> (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
> (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
> Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
> 0x0000bbe0 in ?? ()
> (gdb) load
> Start address 0x406000, load size 49556
> Transfer rate: 30496 bits/sec, 505 bytes/write.
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x0000bbe0 in ?? ()
> (gdb) jump _start
> Continuing at 0x406018.
> Interrupted while waiting for the program.
> Give up (and stop debugging it)? (y or n) y
> (gdb) where
> No stack.
>

> I tried both "jump <insert likely sounding function>" and "continue", but I
> never get any output after that point (asides from the one random time it
> stopped at a breakpoint).
>
> Any thoughts?

"continue" should work - you should not need to "jump" to a special
location.

Try single stepping and/or setting intermediate breakpoints to see
how far along your code is getting.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates