RE: Problem with running application on ARM Integrator

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Mau [mailto:Henrik.Mau@sli-institute.ac.uk]
Sent: dinsdag 4 mei 2004 11:08
To: MELIS,JOERI (A-Belgium,ex1)
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Problem with running application on ARM Integrator

joeri_melis@agilent.com wrote:

> > Is there an SDRAM module present?  When we were using gdb and
> > redboot (over a year ago) we needed the SDRAM to be there.  If
> > I recall correctly something in Redboot required it (we used ecos
> > 28-03-2002 at that time).  Also if you have stuff on the pci bus
> > that needs memory I think you will also need it.
> >
> There is a Samsung 32MB module installed. Do you remember if if either
> Redboot or eCos needed to be configured in a specific way in order to
> test the application using GDB and Redboot?

As far as I know no specific magic was used to turn on redboot at that
time.  I do know that we only got gdb working reliably over the serial
interface with it (not over net or multi-ice).  But I wasn't the
person who played with redboot at that time so I can't say for sure
the configuration wasn't altered.

> > We currently run an application on an arm7tdmi integrator without
> > problems (ecos cvs 09-04-2004, gcc 3.3.2, ld 2.14) without redboot
> > and configured in romram startup mode.
> >
> How would I go about testing my application without the use of Redboot?

Comes out of my head so don't shoot me if I forgot some steps.
You need to change CYG_HAL_STARTUP from RAM to ROMRAM (or ROM if you
want to run from flash) in your ecos.ecc.  The executable you make
has to be transformed in srec format using objcopy, and then you can
load it with the ARM bootloader.

But if you are not sure about your application or ecos setup I wouldn't
recommend starting with this as you have no debugging support and you
are thus responsible yourself for getting anything out of the system.
Do the diagnostic leds give any clue about where it stops working?

Joeri.