Re: tftp server calls diag_printf()

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 06:29, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

> > > Is diag_printf() ever supposed to be called during normal execution?
> > >
> > > If this is something that is only invoked by eCos when there is a bug
> > > somewhere, then its not really a big problem.
> >
> > For this module, that should be the case.
> >
> > In general, diag_printf is used to relay pertinent information to the
> > user from time to time.  Most systems are quiet, with messages only
> > an indication of something abnormal.
>
> The reason I'm asking is to find out if there is any point in submitting
> a patch to remove such debug output during normal execution.
>
> There are "enable debug output" like .cdl options for other modules.
> E.g. CYGDBG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS_DEBUG_VERBOSITY.
>
> Perhaps the "net" package should have this as well?
>
> (tftp is part of the net package).

There has been discussion of splitting this into its own package BRW.

It probably does make sense to add some TFTP specific CDL to control
how verbose it runs.

> Perhaps a better way to deal with this, would be to add a .cdl option to
> send all diag output to the bit bucket. Since I'm using a JTAG debugger,
> I can't send it to the debug channel.

You could always define an additional I/O channel which only kept the
output in a memory ring buffer and configure your system to use that
for diagnostic messages.  Then, in the worst case, if there was some
failure, you could examine the buffer via JTAG.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates