Re: Beginner's questions

"Ricardo Monleone" <monle1@ticino.com> writes:

> I have a few questions which I would be very happy to have answered!
> Here they go:
>
> 1. In the on-line documentation, I have not found portings for one of
> the above processors, however there are portings for similar ones.
> Would it be very difficult for a beginner to get eCos working on one
> of above CPUs? (time estimate?)

It depends on your familiarity with the target device. Expect to take
a few weeks over your first port. There are, of course, commercial
organizations that can do this job for you.

> 2. Some of above processors have a built-in IrDA and/or USB
> interface. Does eCos provide the necessary protocol stacks for these
> interfaces? Do they need some difficult adaptation work?

There is no IrDA support at present. We do have USB slave support, but
you do need to write a driver for the specific USB device to use it.

> 3. The Ethernet interface would be used for a webserver (running on
> the target board) and for a SNMP protocol and for a telnet server.
> Are these functionalities included in eCOS and do they require lots
> of adaptation work in order to get them working on above processors?
> The Ethernet hardware would be made out of a Cirrus CS8900A MAC+PHY
> chip.

There are several Web servers available, from the small embedded HTTPD
package that is part of eCos to fully features servers like the
GoAhead server. SNMP is supported. There is currently no telnet
server, mainly because there is nothing to talk to once you have
connected.

> 4. What toolchains do you suggest? Open source or commercial (e.g.
> from KEIL, IAR, ARM, etc.)

eCos depends on features of the GCC toolchain. That is the only
toolchain that is supported at present.