GDB debugging over ethernet

As I understand it, I can use either Grub or RedBoot to start my
application on a PC. Grub knows FAT16, but an eCos application started
with Grub can only have serial GDB debugging, not ethernet debugging.
RedBoot on the other hand has GDB stubs that work with ethernet, but
cannot load an application from a FAT16 partition.

It seems that RedBoot has it's own stripped-down version of the
TCP/IP-stack, probably to make the binary smaller. That's presumably
also the reason that RedBoot needs it's own ip-address? I wonder why the
GDB stubs can't be connected to the normal eCos TCP/IP-stack so that you
can debug the eCos application after loading it with Grub? Obviously the
code is already in the RedBoot package.

Hans Kester