Re: Hyperterm for Linux?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:16:46 +0000
Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com> wrote:

> ckermit
>
> FWIW, this ability is very useful.  We use it to upgrade RedBoot in the
> eCos test farm on boards that are serial only but are connected to a
> serial-ethernet gateway (so we can access them remotely). Using kermit
> from our remote hosts to connect to the ethernet/serial gateway we can
> initiate a y-modem download from our remote hosts over the tcp
> connection to the gateway to the target.  Hence we end up using both
> ethernet and serial to download :-)

Once upon a time, I used a Terminal X with remote serial port. And
minicom just worked perfect with "socket". I do not use such old stuff
anymore. IMHO, minicom + socat would be much better. But last time
I tried a configuration where RedBoot processed Xmodem over Telnet, it
failed. Maybe Redboot requires some patch to fix its processing of
special telnet IAC ...

--
Eric DONNAT

Silicomp Research Institute