Re: Redboot on CF for x86 based target

Narendra Hadke <narenh@intotoinc.com> writes:

> Hi,
>      I am planning to put  Redboot on a Compact Flash(CF) for an x86
>   compatible target.  As per Redboot User Guide, only floppy is
>   supported for Redboot for x86 based PC. Is it still true ?
>      If support is not there, what  needs to be done to add this
>   support?

You could adapt the redboot floppy bootstrap code to work with a hard
disk device. However, since hard disks have varying dimensions, this
info needs to be fetched from the bootblock, which is not catered for
in the eCos bootstrap mechanism. Booting RedBoot from a CF would also
render the CF card unusable for other purposes.

However, take a look at the GRUB support. This is intended to support
the direct loading of eCos applications and does not support the
booting of RedBoot at present, since using a bootloader to load a
bootloader seemed silly. Take a look at:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-i386-pc.html

for details.