Re: eCos application using USART

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:10:25PM +0100, Ali Rodgo wrote:
> Thanks a lot,

> but one question, can i use these POSIX functions to write a new
> serial protocol( with different signals level, acknowlegments
> etc). I think that this link is only for the RS232 serial protocol
> isn't it?

What do you mean by a new serial protocol?

RS232 basically specifies the physical layer. What shape the connector
is, what the pins are, the voltages, the timing of the transitions,
how bits form bytes, parity etc. RS232 allows you to transfer a stream
of bytes.  The POSIX functions allow you to control the physical
layer. Bit rates, bits per word, parity etc.

The protocol that goes over that is not specified by RS232. eg SLIP
and PPP is not part of RS232, they are independent standards.

I suggest you first do some reading about serial ports, protocols and
the APIs. Once you understand the basics you will be able to ask
better questions, or not need to ask questions at all.

       Andrew