Re: time slicing problem

 --- Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> ha scritto: >
Please copy your email to the list so that all may
> benefit.
> Private email support from MLB Associates is only
> available
> under contract.
>
> On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 08:44, Luca Formaggio wrote:
> >  --- Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> ha scritto: >
> run
> > > operatig
> ecos
> > > receive
> > >
> > > What do you mean "without any interruptions?"
> If
> > > you want
> > > some code to "just run" - why do you need an OS
> at
> > > all?  What
> > > facilities of the operating system are you
> using?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
> > > MLB Associates
> > >

> > > --
> > > Before posting, please read the FAQ:
> > > http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos
> > >
> > I have a function that consume a specified number
> of
> > clock cycles, this number is a parameter of this
> > function. But in some cases the function consume a
> > number of cycles greater than the number in the
> > parameter. This problem happens at constant time
> > interval. I think that is the o.s. that
> ''preempt''
> > the thread when the time slice is reached. My
> > reasoning is correct?
>
> More likely, this is happening when the system clock
> "ticks".
> If you have such a function which cannot tolerate
> this, i.e.
> it must run in a particular number of cycles, you
> could turn
> off the interrupts.  On the other hand, if you have
> such a
> function, why do you need an operating system at
> all?
>
> --
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
> MLB Associates

I try to explain me:
I have a ISS(powerpc simulator), on this ISS run my
application whit ecos o.s.. When the application is
stopped on a breakpoint I use the GDB 'call' command
for run a function of my program that consume a
predetermined number of clock cycles. This call is for
sincronization of the time of the ISS whith another
exeternal program(SystemC). Every a approximately 5000
clock cycles the function it makes to be left over the
clocks counter of approximately 1000 cycles with loss
of syncronization. I think that these 1000 cycles in
excess are the results of the preempt of the o.s. that
suspend the process for internal operations and then
resume it. I need that the execution of the function
that consume cycles is executed without interruptions.
For the problem of compiling ecos. When i compile
without the scheduler timeslicing option in the kernel
scheduler section, I receive this error:

powerpc-eabi-gcc -c
-I/home/formaggi/ecos/work/powerpc_no_timeslice_install/include
-I/home/formaggi/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/compat/posix/v2_0
-I/home/formaggi/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/compat/posix/v2_0/src
-I/home/formaggi/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/compat/posix/v2_0/tests
-I.
-I/home/formaggi/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/compat/posix/v2_0/src/
-mcpu=603 -msoft-float -Wall -Wpointer-arith
-Wstrict-prototypes -Winline -Wundef
-Woverloaded-virtual -g -O2 -ffunction-sections
-fdata-sections -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fvtable-gc
-finit-priority -Wp,-MD,src/mqueue.tmp -o
src/compat_posix_mqueue.o
/home/formaggi/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/compat/posix/v2_0/src/mqueue.cxx
In file included from
/home/formaggi/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/compat/posix/v2_0/src/pprivate.h:72,
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/formaggi/ecos/work/powerpc_no_timeslice_build/compat/posix/v2_0'
                 from
/home/formaggi/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/compat/posix/v2_0/src/mqueue.cxx:89:
make: Leaving directory
`/home/formaggi/ecos/work/powerpc_no_timeslice_build'
/home/formaggi/ecos/work/powerpc_no_timeslice_install/include/cyg/posix/export.h:100:
parse

   error before `*' token
/home/formaggi/ecos/work/powerpc_no_timeslice_install/include/cyg/posix/export.h:102:
parse
   error before `*' token
make[1]: *** [src/mqueue.o.d] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2