Socket problem with smsc LAN91C96

Hi all!
I have a problem while running eCos on an ARM7TDMI (S3C44B0) based board
with a SMSC LAN91C96 ethernet controller.
While the whole TCP/IP stack works fine (I'm using OpenBSD at the moment) I
have a problem when I call the socket "connect" function after a hardware
reset.

This is what happen to me: inside a thread, after calling
init_all_network_interfaces(), I create a socket (AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM) and
call connect() to a LAN server. When connect() is called after a HW reset it
waits a long time (more or less it's 4 seconds) before send the first TCP/IP
packet, after that it all works good.
This happen only after a HW reset, because when, later, I need to restart
the system (I just set the program counter to start from the first location,
so behaving like a reset exception) it doesn't wait, that is the connect()
end only a few millis after it's called and the connection is full working.
Please note that the "reset exception" caused a reset of the whole board
(micro, ram, ethernet controller...)
If, after a HW reset, I wait that 4 second somewhere else (even with a dumb
"for" cicle inside cyg_user_start() before starting the scheduler) the
"connect" call doesn't stop and I get the connection without wait!

It's not so bad, the application works good both times, but I'm having
problem when I have to do a HW reset or when the power goes down because of
that 4 second that slow down the whole application.

I'm I doing something wrong or what?

Has anybody had this kind of problem before? Any clue about what is
happening?

Thank you in advance!