Re: Releasing Code into the Community

Retallack, Mark (Siemens) wrote:
I have just finished the first version of a PPPD for eCos and I am starting
to think about its future.

From my point of view I would like to release it into the eCos community and
perhaps even have it added to the main repository.

However before I do anything there are a few questions that need answering:

1) I have read http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/assign.html and understand the
reasons for handing the copyright over, however is the new copyright holder
still Redhat or would the FSF be better?.

The FSF is still not yet accepting assignments for us. Yes, I've been prodding them, but they have a backlog.

2) When I do release it, would it be all right to zip the new package up,
include a quick readme file and post it onto this mailing list? (this would
be the easiest option). I don't really want to go into making a EPK package
or patch file yet.

I can add it to the contributions page at http://ecos.sourceware.org/contrib.html if you like. But to get this into the main repository, a proper patch on ecos-patches@sources.redhat.com is required/

3) Is it correct that I have to send two letters, one from "the company"
saying that I am allowed to release code and one from me saying that I hand
the copyright over?

Yep. A pain, but necessary.