Random segfaults on REP instructions / i486sx ?

Hi,

I'm developing an application that is tested on an i386 target (namely,
Compaq Prolinea 4/25, 486sx/25Mhz). I've set up all the debugging stuff,
serial line, Insight, and so on.

RedBoot does not cause any problems. The system segfaults randomly at
various places (before kernel initialization, in kernel code, in app
code...). The fault always occur on some REPx assembly instruction, even
with "valid" parameters... the funniest one is the instruction that is
just before eCos initialization at the very beginning of the image
loaded, so this is not app code :-).

I could even reproduce the issue with "scratch" startup, ie target
hard-reset and Insight relaunched. Note that it "sometimes" work.

Nothing found on the Net even if I noticed some segfault reports on REP
instructions but not in such a context. Sidely, Insight seems to miss
breakpoints randomly too; they work when using some combination of
Next-Continue but sometimes not when using Continue only.

(gcc 3.2.1 for target from binary images on eCos website; Insight 5.3
also but recompiled from sources; eCos 2.0, i386-all. Dev station: Linux
Redhat 9.0 on P4, native gcc 3.2.2)

Any clues ? thanks in advance

VL