From: swaroop deshmukh <embeddedsys03@yahoo.com>
To: embeddedeng@hotmail.com, gary@mlbassoc.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Redboot load problem
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:31:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Michael and Gary

Thanks for your help.

But we still have some problems with that.

We are using Redboot platform to load and execute applications on the ARM _eval 7T boards.

We are able to transfer our executable file in the RAM by using
1. "load -r -m xmodem -b 0x10000" command of RedBoot
2. Using file transfer option in C-kermit ( hyperterminal equivalent in linux )

We are not able to execute this application by giving the
"go 0x10000 " or simply the "go " command in RedBoot.

We used the executable file that we get after using the
"arm-elf-gcc ..........." command.

We also tried to remove the debug information using " arm-elf-strip" command and transfer the executable file of smaller size. Still it doesn't work.

Is there any other way we could do it?

Swaroop, Dhiraj.

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 18:56, Michael Anburaj wrote:
> Hi Dhiraj,
>
> 2 things to note.
>
> >RedBoot> load -v -b 0x10000 pascal.elf -m xmodem
>
> Load either an SREC or binary file (not an elf). ELF images contain headers
> & debug info embedded in it.

True, and RedBoot handles ELF files just fine :-)

> Example:
> load -m xmodem
> or
> load -r -m xmodem -b 0x10000
>
> 1st one for srec images & the second one for binary images.
>
> >CCCCCCCCCCan't load 'pascal.elf': Timed out
> >The loading is timed out.
> >Can anyone help??
>
> After issuing this command, you need to send the actual image (srec or .bin
> file) over xmodem protocol <use Hyperterminal (windows) or minicon (linux)>.

This is the key.  RedBoot has no way to tell your host to start
sending the data - you have to do that. For example, in 'minicom'
when you issue the ^A-S command.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates