Re: gcc3.3 everything in the data segment?

> Perhaps a change in naming conventions for the sections containing
> uninitialized variables? Looking at an objdump from GCC 3.2.1, these
> all get put into .bss. If 3.3 is putting them into .data.XXX sections
> instead, then they will always get put into the data segment. An
> objdump of tm_basic.o should show what's going on.

I've found out a bit more. I have a little test case: bss.c

int foo;
static int bar;
int fred=1;

~$ mips64vr-elf-gcc -save-temps -o bss.o -c bss.c

~$ cat bss.s
        .file   1 "bss.c"
        .section .mdebug.abiO64
        .previous
        .globl  fred
        .sdata
        .align  2
        .type   fred, @object
        .size   fred, 4
fred:
        .word   1

        .comm   foo,4

        .lcomm  bar,4

which is correct. .comm and .lcomm get put into the bss, and fred goes
into sdata.

But
~$ mips64vr-elf-gcc -save-temps -o bss.o -c bss.c -fdata-sections
~$ cat bss.s
        .file   1 "bss.c"
        .section .mdebug.abiO64
        .previous
        .globl  fred
        .section        .sdata.fred,"aw",@progbits
        .align  2
        .type   fred, @object
        .size   fred, 4
fred:
        .word   1
        .globl  foo
        .section        .data.foo,"aw",@progbits
        .align  2
        .type   foo, @object
        .size   foo, 4
foo:
        .space  4
        .section        .data.bar,"aw",@progbits
        .align  2
        .type   bar, @object
        .size   bar, 4
bar:
        .space  4

They go into the sdate or data section!

Googling found nothing. I've got 3.3.1 compiling at the moment. If
that does the same i'll submit a bug report using this as a test case.

     Andrew