Re: protected mode?

I had wondered if it were running in real mode because RedBoot prints the banner RAM Available 0x00000000 - 0x000a0000, ... and that 0x000a0000 is 640K. But my system has 512MB plugged into it. So that made be suspicious. Glad it isn't! However that makes me wonder if you've set up the PTES to be a simple 1:1 mapping of virtual to physical, if so then I can just pass pointer to the DMA engine and it will know how to get there right? (no va_to_pa() translation step required).

--Chuck

At 09:46 AM 8/4/2003 +0100, Nick Garnett wrote:
Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com> writes:

> Ok, so is there something I'm missing or does ECOS stay only in real
> mode on the PC?

No, eCos and RedBoot run entirely inprotected mode. RedBoot only runs
in real mode while it is using the BIOS to load the rest of itself --
while the dots are coming out on the display. The very first thing it
does after that is switch to 32-bit protected mode.

What makes you think it is in real mode?