Re: how to use the debug macros in the pcmb_io.h....

Sivakamesh Thota <thota@cosmic.utah.edu> writes:

> hi,
> I am building the redboot image with non standard pc hardware,
> non-standard in the sense different ethernet card, not the intel one. I
> would like to add the debugging macros in the plf_misc.c program which are
> defined in the pcmb_io.h. Does these defines traces back to some other
> code in the package directory. I tried adding them in the plf_misc.c and
> found nothing displaying on the pc screen. Am I going wrong anywhere in
> the procedure I am supposed to do.... Any help would be appreciated.
> thank you
> kamesh

You don't need to do anything special to use these macros, just call
them. They just write values directly to the display buffer.

The only thing to know about them is that the first pos parameter is
just a linear offset into the display buffer. The PC_SCREEN_LINE macro
is there to help you position things on lines. So, for example:

PC_WRITE_SCREEN_32( PC_SCREEN_LINE(15)+20, x )

Will write the value of x as a 32 bit (8 character) value on line 15,
column 20.

If this is not working then maybe the display in is some non-standard
mode, or maybe the non-standard hardware has moved the display buffer
elsewhere.

Of course RedBoot may not even be reaching C code to do this. You may
need to add assembly equivalents of these macros to, say, vectors.S.