Re: eCos on the Dell 1184 AP?

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:28:58AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
:
> Personally, i don't see the point of running eCos on such
> hardware. Why do you want an RTOS when a none RTOS works well. For me
> Linux is the best, most flexible solution.

Um...  This is very close to a lot of religious battles that I really
don't want to touch on.  Been there, done that.

Suffice to say that I believe that a true RTOS will be more effective on
what is, basically, an embedded board.  Direct control of the Prism3
chipset is a particular area of concern.  According to some of the
discussion on the LinuxAP list, HostAP mode on this device may need
special care.  Other devices typically have a PCMCIA, USB, or PCI
controller, and tasks can be handed off to that.  The Dell seems to have
bypassed that piece, which works well enough if you download the Prism AP
firmware, but might be problematic using HostAP mode.

Besides, I think eCos is an interesting project and finding effective ways
to make use of it seems a good way to get involved.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh@ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh@ubiqx.org