Re: Ecos / MicroWindows video display question

"Tom Piotrowicz" <piotrowicz@geoperception.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm a beginner with ECOS and Microwindows so bear with me.

You don't necessarily need microwindows to do graphical output.

> I am experimenting with ECOS and Microwindows on PC x86 and I am
> unclear on some things, with regards to communication channels and
> video modes.

> I have successfully built a floppy version of Redboot and can load a
> "hello world" program in the debugger and debug it onthe target, but
> I cannot set the video mode properly.  I am setting the VGA mode in
> Redboot to 0x100 and trying to read the video display properties
> using the GFXMODE.C example code.. but I don't get any valid data,
> so I am assuming that it is a configuration issue.

I wasn't able to obtain anything interesting with gfxmode.c either,
although I was able to get mode 0x112 running quite nicely.

> What I would like to do is communicate with the Target PC using a
> COM port and draw VGA graphics on the Target screen.  I am unclear
> to as to how many communications channels I need to specify -> 2 or
> 3

Well, 3 means that you want to use the pcmb screen, which would be
difficult if you also want an svga mode.  So maybe 2, and then use a
null serial cable.

2

> CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CHANNEL_DEFAULT

Depends on which serial port you are using.

> CYGNUM_HAL_VIRTUAL_VECTOR_CONSOLE_CHANNEL

> and the proper settings for the MICROWINDOWS PACKAGE

Depends what you aim to do.  Don't know much about it myself.

I'll let the real experts answer the rest.  Hope I was able to shed a
bit of light on the situation.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/