Re: question regarding amd pci ethernet driver..

On Friday 20 June 2003 20:51, you wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Iztok Zupet wrote:
>
> hi,
> The pci id for 79C790 is 0x5757(As given in the amd_pcnet.h file in the
> /packages/devs/amd/ directory . And my controller is 79C790AKC. So what
> should I do inorder to have my configuration recognize the amd ethernet
> device. Sorry I did not get you exactly, anyways my controller chip is not
> of anyone(79C792 or 79C794). so do I need to worry about the pci id
> anymore. since the header file itself the id for my particular controller
> chip is already given. I did build but I am not getting the correct header
> file in my install tree. did I go wrong anywhere in my build procedure??
> I am going to print the header file contents
> of pkgconf/devs_eth_amd_pcnet.h.

Sorry, I was wrong about the device numbers, the driver is known to work with
the following devices:

    db_printf("PCnet ID 0x%04x (%s) ",
                val,
                (0x5003 == val) ? "Am79C973" : (0x7003 == val) ? "Am79C975" :
"Unknown");

You should modify the folowing function in the if_pcnet.c file to make it
work, if it doesn't:
	pci_init_find_pcnet( void )..

 But unfortunatly there's another bigger problem. There is no HOST PART of the
PCNet driver for the PC in the eCos repo!!!. You should write one Yourself.

 You can help yourself with my HOST PART for the VMware driver, because it has
all the functions the PCNet requires.
You can dovnload the VMware patch from
<http://www.ecos2.vsr.si/patches/vmWare-net.html>.
Apply it then change the HOST PART at xxx/packages/devs/eth/i386/pc/lancepci/*

Or perhaps (might be the easiest way) You can try to run my VMware driver as
it is on Your board, there's a chance for it to run because it's essentially
a crippled 79C790 driver ...

Regards
Iztok