Re: Setting up eCos 2 on a non-Linux system

    Jeffrey> I'm seriously considering using eCos for a new product. I
    Jeffrey> grabbed the 2.0 distribution and tried setting it up on
    Jeffrey> my FreeBSD 4.8 machine with no success.

    Jeffrey> I followed the directions, creating a build directory and
    Jeffrey> running the toplevel configure, but little gets populated
    Jeffrey> into that directory, and nothing into the host
    Jeffrey> subdirectory. The configuration process doesn't end with
    Jeffrey> an error, but doesn't seem to do much else either. I have
    Jeffrey> a good Tcl installed, GNU Make, and have even
    Jeffrey> contaminated my system with autoconf and bash, but with
    Jeffrey> no change. Are the initial setup instructions for 2.0
    Jeffrey> incorrect or am I missing another Linux specific
    Jeffrey> configuration or package?

    Jeffrey> Thanks in advance for any advice,

For historical reasons the current release scripts do some rearranging
of the directory hierarchy relative to the CVS tree. In particular the
toplevel host subdirectory gets moved to tools/src instead, which
amongst other things breaks the toplevel configure script. A
workaround for this has been implemented for the 2.0 final release,
with a proper fix to follow later.

Meanwhile there are two simple ways around this:

1) run the configure script in tools/src rather than the toplevel
   configure script. That does mean you won't build any per-package
   host-side software, but right now all per-package host-side
   software is Linux-specific anyway.

2) "mv tools/src host", then run the toplevel configure script again.

Make sure you do this is in a clean build tree, otherwise cached
entries from the previous configure run could confuse things.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect