Setting up eCos 2 on a non-Linux system

I'm seriously considering using eCos for a new product.  I grabbed the 2.0
distribution and tried setting it up on my FreeBSD 4.8 machine with no success.

I followed the directions, creating a build directory and running the toplevel
configure, but little gets populated into that directory, and nothing into the
host subdirectory.  The configuration process doesn't end with an error, but
doesn't seem to do much else either.  I have a good Tcl installed, GNU Make,
and have even contaminated my system with autoconf and bash, but with no
change.  Are the initial setup instructions for 2.0 incorrect or am I missing
another Linux specific configuration or package?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Jeffrey Katcher