Re: configtool/wxwindows/gtk+

Koeller, T. wrote:
Thomas Koeller wrote:

Building wxGTK-2.4.0 as part of the configtool build process does
not work with the existing makefile if gtk+-2.x is used. In this
case configure needs a --enable-gtk2 argument. Not sure how
to fix this. Should we just add --enable-gtk2 and obsolete
gtk-1.x? Or should a new target 'wx-gtk2' be introduced? But
then all targets currently depending on 'wx' would have to be
duplicated as well, adding 'full-gtk2' and so on.

[speaking from a position of ignorance]
Shouldn't wxGTK determine the GTK version using autoconf or some other magic way?

Maybe it should, but it does not. And then, auto-detecting may not be a good idea if both gtk+-v1 and gtk+-v2 are installed in parallel, as is the case with my system. In this case, the autodetection result would depend on the user's path settings. In this situation it is good to have a way of specifying what you want.

True. Although since we should probably (ha!) choose the latest version by default if we can, perhaps the simplest thing is just to always use gtk2+-2 if it's there, falling back to gtk-1.

I'd be interesting in John's opinions too (CC'd), as configtool-meister; and in particular what the system he was using for builds has on it.... I thought it was a recent Red Hat Linux distro which would mean gtk2 is installed. Although is the problem specifically when gtk2 is present but gtk1 is not, as John may have both installed.