Re: RE: A build and a debug question

A prebuilt one. The startup banner is "GNU gdb 5.0-gnupro-00r1"

Ah. I strongly recommend switching to 5.3 since that's what we're using, and we know it works. You can get prebuilts by using the ecos 2.0beta installer

	> (gdb) target remote 10.20.111.111:9000
	> Remote debugging using 10.20.111.111:9000
	> gdb-internal-error: longest_local_hex_string_custom: insufficient
space to
	> store result

The fact it happens with new_net implies it's something to do with
the RedBoot/eCos sharing. Have you given the target its own address? You
can't allocate both redboot and ecos addresses dynamically.

	This sounds a likely cause. I hadn't given the IP address issue much
thought or investigation at this stage . I had used Redboot to program an
appropriate IP address and subnet mask. I had kind of assumed any network
App will look in the same Flash area and by default use the IP params I had
set via Redboot. Maybe this isn't the way it works, I will go and try and
find some explanation on this in the docs.

I truly doubt that this is the issue, since the problem occurs during the initial connection. The eCos application
is not even started running yet, much less competing for
IP addresses.

True - somehow it slipped my mind when it came to me it was at the target remote stage so it couldn't possibly be that.