Re: Temporary IP address assignment trick

Grant Edwards wrote:

When the stack starts up "properly" it always does an ARP
request for itself anyway, one of the reasons being to check
there aren't conflicts with people with the same IP. It
certainly means that you can't just bring the stack up
completely unless you already have its IP address sorted out,
so you can't let it work "transparently".

So there's no way to open a raw socket if the stack doesn't
have an IP address?

I can't see a way for a _raw_ socket to do that no... I don't even see raw sockets at all in this stack. I hope I'm wrong.

The thing that I mean about the "not working transparently" thing is that once you eat that packet, it's gone, so it's not transparent - that's possible but would probably be difficult and invasive.

If you don't mind the packet being lost (e.g. wait for TCP SYN retry) then, with some changes in net/common you should be able to do something very similar to what BOOTP does now in do_bootp(), but just without sending a request out first.