redboot startup type/gdb

Hi,

I am relatively new to eCos and its tools.

My question is, in order to use cross-gdb to connect to a remote target
that runs redboot, does the redboot has to be built as a ROM monitor?

My set up:

target: IDT79eb438, ecos 2.0 from cvs repository, HAL package from IDT
for the board. cross gdb built from GDB5.3.

I built Redboot with RAM startup type( currently I don't have flash
programming capability in my lab), which disabled
CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR, I do include ' include GDB stubs in HAL' and
'include GDB external break support for stubs'  though.  Then I run
Redboot on target's RAM,  and on the host side I run the cross gdb
Here is what I did and got,

$mipsisa32-elf-gdb
(gdb) set remotebaud 115200
(gdb) target remote com1
Remote debugging using com1
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Malformed response to offset query, timeout.

COM1/115200 setting should have no problem since my HyperTerminal has
the same setting and works fine when I am not running gdb.  I currently
suspect it's because Redboot is not built as a ROM monitor, but I may be
wrong. Could anyone give me some hint about what is behind the scene and
what might be the problem, your help is very much appreciated.

thanks !

Zi