Re: Status of PPC40x in eCos?

> > $ ecosconfig --srcdir=/data.pm/src/ecos/packages/ new 40x
>
> (or similar tries like hal_ppc40x, ppc40x_arch_hal) only give me the following
> error: "Unknown target <x>".

You have to give the name of a target, not a package. All the targets
are listed in the ecos.db file. These targets then include all the
packages need.

It looks like there are no targets for the ppc40x. This happens when
the target board RedHat was developing for was a customers custom
board and not a standard board. In those cases, the generic parts are
made public, but not the customer specific parts.

> Could somebody give me a tip what is missing in the packages tree in
> order to get a complete target definition?

Add a target entry into the ecos.db with the packages you think are
needed. You will then have to fill in the gaps. The HAL porting guide
is a good place to look for additional information.

> Therefore I assume that this port was never really finished nor used, e.g.
> the existing snippets for the interrupt/startup code have never undergone a
> real test in any real world application.

I expect it has been tested, just not released to the public. One of
the ex-RH guys should be able to tell you.

    Andrew