RE: FW: Ethernet init problem

Hi again,

> packages/io/eth/current/src/net/eth_drv.c:eth_drv_init()
>
> when it calls ether_ifattach. Look at the name inside ifp.
> This has to be the same name as the ioctl is calling, which
> from the trace you posted, is "eth0".

I dont get to this function when executing. Eth_drv_init is never
called.

> Which stack are you using? FreeBSD or OpenBSD?

FreeBSD (new stack)

> > You probably want to single step your way through the IOCTL
> call. You
> > can then compare what its looking for against what the interface is
> > called. That should then enlighten you as to whats wrong.

I did the stepping and the calling chain is the follwoing:
Init_all_network_interfaces
  init_net
    ioctl -> here i have eth0 as input in the ifr parameter
      bsd_ioctl
        ifioctl
          ifunit

It's in the ifunit function that something goes wrong. It compares the
input parameter with all current available(?) interfaces and the only
compare operation that is done now is between "lo" and "eth" so do i
really have a eth interface installed?? The ifunit returns ENXIO which
is progagated back and eventually gives the SIOCIFADDR error code.

However, the big issue right now problably is why i dont have any
interfaces installed. How is this possible when i can see the "init
device" printout?

Regards, Daniel