Re: CRC check on serial comm to redboot

Hi,

Yep, the remote-gdb protocol used when downloading an app over the serial line via gdb does also hava a checksum. However, its not a CRC but a pretty simple modulo-256 checksum, which could occasionally let an erroneous packet slip through :-(
Also remember that Redboot is polled, so at high comm speed (e.g 115200 bps) there is not only the increased risk of getting disturbances on the wire, but also a higher risk that bytes might be lost due to polling delays on loaded targets.
So there is definitely a theoretical risk of both getting bad data and then having it slip through the checksum, but I haven't seen much problems with this in practice.

Cheers, /Kjell
--
Kjell Svensson Embedded Technology Manager
Techtribe Solutions AB Tel: +46 (0)31 706 06 00