Re: RedBoot go command enhancement

> On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 09:12, Mark Salter wrote:
>>
>> Here's a patch I've been playing around with. It provides a
>> mechanism for programs started by the RedBoot go command to
>> return to the RedBoot prompt and have its exit status displayed.
>> It also adds a -c flag to the go command which prevents the
>> caches from being disabled before jumping to the program. I've
>> only tried it with standalone newlib/libgloss based apps, but
>> eCos apps should also be able to use the VV mechanism as well.
>> I thought I'd throw this out and solicit any comments.
>>

> Nice.  My only concern is that "workspace_end" is a scary place
> to keep the saved context.  Maybe this should be in [static] low
> memory?

Yeah, I have been waffling over that as well. The only problem
with a static area in RedBoot's area is that there doesn't
appear to be a good way to figure out the size requirement in
an architecture neutral way. You need room for HAL_SavedRegisters
plus some architecturally defined padding. For instance, you
just need a little padding on ARM for 16byte alignment, but on
mips there is an extra 56 bytes that is probably an ABI stack
frame thing.

--Mark