Re: OpenBSD and FreeBSD question? Thanks!

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 14:10, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary D. Thomas wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 09:52, jameshq@liverpool.ac.uk wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all:
> >>  Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the OpenBSD(net
> >>template) TCP/IP Stack and
> >>the FreeBSD TCP/IP Stack(new_net template)?
> >>
> >>For using FreeBSD Does anything(the device driver) needs to be
> >>changed?
> >>
> >>If the current device driver support the OpenBSD, will it be suitable
> >>for the FreeBSD without change?
> >>
> >>(I can compile my deviece driver for the OpenBSD without problem, but
> >>when I tried to use the FreeBSD
> >>I encounter some problem, do I need to redesign the device driver?)
> >

> > The device drivers should be compatible (no changes required).
> > The major difference at this time is that the new stack does
> > not support SNMP (i.e. you can't build the SNMP package if
> > you select "new_net")
>
> Although in this particular case, it could be some subtle header file
> change, since there are quite a few differences between the ports in there.
>
> Perhaps if you quote the error and the lines affected....

Sadly, there seems to be much more to it than that :-(  The
SNMP code has a very incestuous relationship with the network
stack code (peeking directly into data structures, etc) and
the details between the two stacks are quite different, especially
in the areas in question.

I did look at the latest SNMP code - it holds promise since the
level of incest is lower - but it would still be major effort
to get it into eCos.

Bottom line - the current SNMP package is broken with the new stack
and getting one to work won't happen soon.

Of course, I'm happy to be proven wrong :-)

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |