Re: MPC 555/565 Status

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 16:22, Henning Baldersheim wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been looking around for OS with MPC 555/565 support. ECOS seem to
> have the basic stuff. I have downloaded and got it up and running on my
> Phytec MPC555 card. So far so good. However I have a couple of questions.
>
> 1 - I find an ec555extras.epk file, but I get some errors.
> (xxx/ecos/packages/pkgadd.txt : missing) and
> (io/ioencoder/v0_1/include/encoderconfig_keys.h : permission denied). How

I do not know how to solve that. Never used the epk as I have the
original code myself.

> do I solve that ? Is this soon to be added to cvs ? Is it possible to
> ignore the errors so I can have a look at the code.

I do not think it will ever appear into cvs. If you do not manage to
have a look at the code, I can send you a copy of what is missing.
Basically it is a device driver for reading out incremental emcoders
using the TPU devices.

> 2 - I see that both the ec555 and cme555 boards have different serial
> drivers. Is that necessary ? Should there not be a 555/565 common package
> containing all those drivers.

That's something you could argue about. You could say that the
integrated peripherals of the 555/565 processors are part of the
processor architecture. You could also say that the cme555 and ec555
boards use the same serial devices.

I am more in favor of this last approach since motorola integrates lots
of their peripherals into other processors as well.

Maybe the cleanest way to go would be to split the driver in a "device"
part and a "board part". Look at how the cs8900a ethernet controller
(the device part) is used on multiple boards as a example.

I suppose Gary or Jifl can comment on this as well ?

> 3 - I want to make a package for the phytec 555 and 565 cards. Should they
> be organized the same way as the ec and cme package ? I would hope common
> stuff could go in a common place.

See my comment above. The cs8900a ethernet driver is probably an example
of the cleanest approach.

> 4 - From the previous mails I see that there might be a patch coming soon.
> What is contained and when will it be available ?

That patch is ready. It does not change anything major, just some bug
fixes for serial debugging (ctrl-c stuff) and some documentation. It
however also contains redboot images for the ec555 and cme555 boards, so
it became an email with a "big" attachment. That's the reason why it did
not appear on the patches-list. The eCos maintainers got it though. If
you want, I can send you a copy as well. I can not guarantee that it
will ever make it into the cvs tree though.

I'll post the patch without the images to the patches list this WE.

> Henning

Bob

ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma