Re: Port to c166 / c165 utah cpu

    Peter> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:21:03PM +0000, Bart Veer wrote:
    Peter> [...]
    >> So it depends very much on the specific processor. It should be
    >> possible to port eCos to some 16-bit processors, but not all.

    Peter> I am curious if it would be relevant to do the development
    Peter> for 16 bit. On one hand, 16 bit processors could be a
    Peter> closing window (with everything that has the complexity to
    Peter> require an OS, moving to 32-bit or higher as the price of
    Peter> the cheapest 32-bit processor drops). On the other hand, it
    Peter> could be a growth market, with the number of all classes of
    Peter> embedded processors (8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit)
    Peter> booming strongly.

Very hard to predict. In practice, a port of eCos to any particular
16-bit processor is unlikely to happen speculatively. More likely,
either a chip vendor will decide that it would be a good way to grow
market share, or a major application developer will consider it a key
element of a product strategy. Then they either do the work
themselves, hopefully contributing it, or pay for somebody else to do
the work.

Bart