From: Gary Thomas [mailto:gthomas@ecoscentric.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 7:14 AM
To: Erdem Guven
Cc: eCos Discussion
Subject: Re: [ECOS] 386 PC Rom Image

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 02:50, Erdem Guven wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a 386 pc board. I want to use redboot instead
> of BIOS. But binaries which I had compiled don't work.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can get a pre-compiled
> redboot ROM image working on a PC or send me a working
> one to test my board?

While RedBoot in general *could* replace the BIOS on your
board, we can't provide this in general.  What I mean by this
is that one can't just build RedBoot for a generic PC with
a ROM startup and expect it to work.  There is a lot of hardware
(platform) specific startup and setup code that needs to exist
which must be tailored for your exact board.  We've only done
this for a small set of boards which are not publicly available.

In order to get this to work, you are going to have to provide
such details yourself.  Note however, that board manufacturers
are not always very cooperative in this effort and it may prove
very difficult to obtain sufficient information.  If the board
has on-board FLASH you might be able to put RedBoot into it and
arrange to have the BIOS just startup RedBoot from there.

Running RedBoot like this is difficult and if you really want
to do it, it may make sense to elicit help in this effort.
Since we (eCosCentric) have done this before, that might be
a good place to start.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |