Re: Who's maintaining CVS

Peter Vandenabeele wrote:
On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 02:01:30AM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
[...]

Jani appears to have forgotten that he did even submit his lwIP changes, several months ago, using the very same principle, i.e. declaring the code is being put in the public domain. The maintainers know full well about this get-around :-).

Peter is right that this is acceptable *however* we do not want to permit this as the usual course of action.

As you may have found out by reading the rest of the thread, this was only the case if lwIP was original code written entirely by Jani himself. If lwIP is based on original code distributed to to Jani under the modified-BSD
license, I believe this is not longer a correct method (this is detailed in later msg's). Pity.
The maintainers make an exception for assignment for an established external open source project, assuming it has an appropriate licence - PD or modified BSD is basically it. It is up to that external project to enforce its own copyright with the licence they distribute it under.

However, it is the responsibility of the eCos maintainers to protect and enforce the copyright and legal integrity of any other contributions to eCos.

No one needs to assign lwIP's copyright - if it was asked for before, it may well have been simply because the person involved did not realise it was an external established project. I know I've made mistakes like that before. The same would not apply to modifications made to eCos itself to support lwIP, as proved by the existing io/eth/current/src/lwip/eth_drv.c

--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine