Re: Java Virtual Machine for eCos

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Peter Vandenabeele wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:56:55AM +0200, llandre wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I'm looking for a Java Virtual Machine ported to eCos.
> > It should run on the following hardware platform:
> > - ARM7TDMI, 8kB cache, 66MHz
> > - 2MB Flash
> > - 4MB SDRAM
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Check http://wonka.acunia.com/development.html. On that page,
> acunia announces an initial eCos port of Wonka that needs further
> work. We are also looking into that.
>
> Peter

The port was made by a couple of students as a term project. They had it
running on an iPAQ, but with no network connection (they had no time to
spend on selecting a network stack for eCos, getting ppp working, etc.).
Up to now we didn't take this work any further for lack of commercial
demand for it, but that may change soon: as Peter says, acunia and mind.be
are in contact regarding this.

Wonka's internal TCP/IP API is based on Berkeley sockets, so it should be
no problem to get the Open/FreeBSD stack running: the code we use for
embedded linux will probably run out-of-the-box. The only thing which
bothers me about llandre's description is the bit about 4 MB DRAM:
currently we're not able to strip Wonka down to run in so small a space
(without AWT we need at least 6 MB).

Best wishes

--

Chris Gray