Linux Synthetic Target -- How to exit eCos back to linux-shell

We are using eCos under Linux to simulate and test our software.
We would like to do some automated tests, and therefore need to be able to
exit (shutdown) ecos and return to the linux-shell.

Does anyone know how to do this?

We have tried variations of exit() etc., but it seems that eCos just keeps
running the idle-thread (as it should from another point of view).
We are using the Kernel and scheduler.

Please mail if you have any suggestions.

Regards,
David Marqvar