Re: No ROM monitor - How to test my code

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Tristan CORCELLE wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm porting eCos on a board based on an ARM7TDMI.(Flash, RAM, 2 UART,
> Ethernet)
> Software/Tools: Windows NT, Config tools 1.3.1.3, Cygwin, Insight 5.1, JTAG
>
> I've written two drivers : one for Flash memory and an other for serial
> port.
> I've tested the basic of the serial drivers with serial1.c, serial2.c and
> serial_echo.c. That works fine but there are problems with the debugging
> environment. In fact there is nothing in the Flash and I didn't find how to
> configure virtual vectors.
>

> I have following questions:
>
>     * Is it possible to run in RAM an aplication with GDB in the HAL? (with
> correct initialisation of virtual vectors)

Do you have working hardware yet? Or is there a catch-22 problem getting
RedBoot into your boot flash?

In either case, you can still use GDB to simulate your code. The version
of Insight you have should support the simulator:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2002-07/msg00267.html

>     * I would like to test the serial driver with a correct environment of
> debug but I didn't find the good configuration of the config tools. I want
> to compile and run "serial1.c" in RAM and to display message like
> "CYG_TEST_PASS_FINISH("serial1 test OK")" in the console. Does anybody have
> an idea? (I have to configure the virtual vectors but there are no ROM
> monitor.) I try something but now, I'm receiving in the Hyperteminal the
> following message:
> "+$O496E69742064657669636520272F6465762F74747964696167270A#C2"
> and it blocks in the "static cyg_bool cyg_hal_plf_serial_getc_nonblock(void*
> __ch_data, cyg_uint8* ch)" function. The origin of this error come from the
> call of "cyg_hal_invoke_contructors(void)" during the initialisation.
>
>     * Does anybody have an idea to update the Flash memory? Is it possible
> to run Redboot in RAM, in the aim of update the Flash memory, everything
> with no ROM Monitor?

Yes.
http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/redboot.html
http://sources.redhat.com/fom-serv/ecos/cache/1.html

But it's also hardware dependent. For my case, I was able to follow the
directions here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/redboot/at91.html

Scott