Re: AW: #include <new> in mqueue.cxx

"Jones, Michael" wrote:
> You are suggesting to install "libsupc++" - OK, but where to (and how)?

This has been discussed quite a few times on this list, e.g. here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2001-09/msg00215.html

Is the list archive and its serach engine some kind of secret that only
I know? ;-)

> And how do I tell the compiler where to find it?

It's part of the compiler, so it will know where to find it. The eCos
linker scripts will link it in automatically if they detect that you're
using gcc 3.x (at least the one for ARM, which is the only one I'm
using).

> And again why is it not part of the eCos repository?? The idea of such is to provide a working environment - I can hardly imagine that it relies on components that "maybe" exist on the build system. Or if yes, it should be documented somewhere...

As I said, it's part of the compiler (and yes, eCos assumes that you
have a compiler for the target system ;-). And it probably will be
documented once gcc 3.x is the recommended compiler for eCos. Currently
it's gcc 2.95.3 and that one doesn't need libsupc++ (it's part of libgcc
there).

> As to your last two comments; I have at length considered the need for this construction and as bad style the usage is that we find in e.g. in kapi.cxx (yes - not nice is it?) the question is if somebody did it for a reason in the first place - like not having to rely on the new header?

I would be very surprised if that were the case. The compiler that was
current when that part of the code was written supplied the <new> header
by default. Maybe it's the additional sanity check of the pointer. I
guess only Jonathan will be able to tell us:

Sun Aug 16 18:15:12 1998  Jonathan Larmour  <jlarmour@cygnus.co.uk>
[...]
        * src/stdio/common/fopen.cxx:
        Change to use new method of construction from above, using new

> Yet, as ever my primary target id to actually build a working app with eCos - and that is currently prohibited with this error (and I don't) seem to be the only. I will take whatever works in the long run, so I will be more then thankful for any advice that gets me there...

Have you considered using gcc 2.95.3?

Martin