Re: microwindows under ecos 2.0

    Tom> greetings, has anyone successfully built the microwindows package
    Tom> under the latest ecos 2.0 source tree?
    Tom> if so, then information concerning the configuration (ecos.ecc
    Tom> file would help), target platform, crosscompiler used, binutils
    Tom> version etc. would be very helpful.
    Tom> i am attempting to build the linux synth target with mw (which
    Tom> builds fine without mw btw), using the RH 7.1 2.96-85 compiler,
    Tom> 20000731.

Yes, but not for the synthetic target. The version of microwindows
checked into CVS only supports a small number of targets: some ARM
boards, and a PC with a suitable graphics card. The synthetic target
code currently checked in does not have any framebuffer support, so
running microwindows would be rather difficult.

As a quick experiment I just tried:

  ecosconfig new pc net
  ecosconfig add mw
  (edit ecos.ecc, CYGBLD_GLOBAL_COMMAND_PREFIX -> "")
  ecosconfig tree
  make

And that builds fine, using gcc 2.96 (Red Hat). I don't actually have
the hardware set up right now to test that it works, but certainly
there are no build problems.

Note that, at present, to run eCos microwindows on a PC you need to
boot the PC with a specially configured version of RedBoot.
Specifically RedBoot needs to built with a sensible value for
CYGNUM_HAL_I386_PC_STARTUP_VIDEO_MODE. During startup RedBoot will
then make a video BIOS call to set the graphics card to a suitable
mode while the x86 is still in 16-bit mode, i.e. while it is still
easy to make BIOS calls.

Bart