Re: Red Hat backs away from eCos?

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:56:37AM -0400, Michael Kelly wrote:

> For what it's worth, I say good riddance.  Red Hat never knew what
> to do with eCOs or even GNU for that matter.  Now that the eCos
> source is GPL'ed

What?  I was aware that the RHEPL was being modified to make it "GPL
compatible". Is that what you mean by "eCos source is GPL'ed" or has the old
license been tossed out and replaces with the GPL?

> (with appropriate modifiers for embedded use), I believe it will take off.
> I intend to show my support by working with some of the developers to
> create board/eCos bundles for development use.  I encourage all of the
> board vendors out there to do the same.
>
> And as for end users, support eCos by working with the developers and
> funding the projects.  Maybe now they can take on reasonable size jobs
> since they do not have to meet the inflated levels of revenue Red Hat
> expected of each customer.
>
> Anyway, I think an eCos free from Red Hat is good for the embedded world
> and I do not believe it will die off.

We're using eCos in a couple products, and we're wondering where eCos is
going to reside now that RH has abandonded it. Where is the "official"
source for eCos going to be?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com