From: Gary Thomas [mailto:gary@chez-thomas.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:30 AM
To: George Sosnowski
Cc: eCos Discussion
Subject: RE: [ECOS] gdb over ethernet network support for ECOS
RAMapplication

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 11:52, George Sosnowski wrote:
> I was using a target based on powerpc mbx and viper boards which has
> an 860T.
>
> The thing I'm not clear about is that my ECOS 1.3.1 application is
> using the NET package which is a fuller version IP stack than what
> Redboot has. Do these stacks run concurrently somehow? Or are the
> ethernet (fec) driver and IP stack in the ecos application inheriting
> the Redboot driver and stack?

Actually neither.

The network stacks are split into a logical and physical driver.  Which
logical driver is in use depends on the mode; there is a separate driver
for RedBoot than from an eCos application.  However, the physical driver
is the same for both environments (or at least equivalent).  What
happens is the physical driver in RedBoot is used until the eCos
application takes over.  Once that happens, only the physical driver in
the eCos application is used, but it gets shared by both the eCos stack
(xxxBSD based) and the RedBoot stack.  When there is network activity
(incoming packets primarily), both logical stacks get a chance to
process the data/packet.  In this way, both the eCos stack and the
RedBoot stack can run, more or less in tandem.

It's all rather complicated, but it does work, because of how the
drivers are structured.

BTW - I assume you mean by 1.3.1 that you are using anonymous CVS,
possibly before the 2.0 alpha was announced.  I would suggest that you
update to the latest code base since there have been significant changes
since 1.3.1 was officially relased *in March of 2000*!

http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos