Re: PPP status?

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 04:23:53PM +0200, Gustav Kälvesten wrote:

> > A while back, I seem to recall that somebody was porting some
> > Linux (GPL'd) PPP protocol code to eCos.  Has anybody seen any
> > results from that effort?
>
> Porting GPL'd code to eCos would violate the GPL license or require eCos to
> be GPL'd as well. E.g. the Kaffe port to eCos can not be considered to be
> legal.

IANAL, but why couldn't GPL'd source code be ported to eCos
without violating the license?  The GPL doesn't prohibit
modifications, it only controls how those modifications are
distributed.  Porting GPL'd code to eCos then distributing it
seperately from eCos as source code shouldn't be a problem,
should it?

Once you start shipping binaries, then things get complicated...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com