Re: Docbook format in eCos v.2.0

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:28:36AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:00:10PM +0200, Erik Aagaard Knudsen wrote:
> > I wonder why you changed the documentation format in eCos to Docbook? It
> > seems pretty complicated for people who just want to read the documentation.
> > Do you have any suggestions for making this simple? Tools and how to use
> > them (Windows - Unix)? I have tried to use openjade (v1.3), but it doesn't
> > seem to work very well.
>
> I like having a local copy of the documentation, running from my web
> server. I used to have the CVS checked out directly into my web server
> file system. This is not possible now :-(
>
> What would be useful is if RedHat put up the HTML files derived from
> the DocBook files in the CVS or a tarball. Then there is no need for
> us to get Jade working unless we actually want to write some
> documentation.

I find PDF far more useful than HTML.  The HTML docs are
chopped up into so many individual pages (many with only a line
or two of content), that it's difficult to search for things
and it's difficult to quickly leaf through a document looking
for applicable material.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com