Von: Jonathan Larmour [mailto:jlarmour@redhat.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. April 2002 21:27
An: Koeller, T.
Cc: ecos-discuss (E-Mail)
Betreff: Re: [ECOS] ecosconfig does not terminate

Gary Thomas wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 05:10, Koeller, T. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been encountering a problem with the ecosconfig command line
> > tool under Linux recently. I built and installed it on my Linux system
> > (kernel 2.4.18, glibc 2.2.5, tcl/tk 8.3.4). The tool appears to work
> > normally, but after finishing its task it does not exit and has to be
> > aborted by hitting Control-C. The process list shows the following
> > entries:
> >
> >   440  ?  S    0:00 ecosconfig list
> >   441  ?  Z    0:00 (ecosconfig <zombie>)
> >
> > It seems that ecosconfig fails to properly collect the exit status of
> > its child processes (or threads). When executing ecosconfig under
> > GDB control, the problem does not show. I did not notice this
> > behavior with any other program on my system so far.
> >
> > Btw., ecosconfig is not the kind of program you would expect to use
> > multi-threading, so I was quite surprised to find that it actually does.
>
> Suffice it to say that we don't see this behaviour here :-)
>
> Did you build 'ecosconfig' yourself?   What tools did you use?

The most likely cause of different behaviour is the different TCL version.
It might be interesting to debug it by attaching to the process from GDB,
i.e. "gdb ecosconfig 440" in the example above. And find out where it is.

It's a bit odd that there's a zombie thread - in
host/tools/Utils/common/eCosThreadUtils.cpp you can see that
pthread_detach() is called for the thread.