Debugging and testing

With the help of two very kind persons (Davide and Simun)
I'm ath last able to build RedBoot on my host Linux
and boot from a FD on the target x86.

Now I'd like to see something moving.....
I should probably use gdb/Insight to load, debug and run the tests.
I already have gdb 5.0.17mdk configured as "i386-mandrake-linux" on my host.

Can I use this one or do I need to rebuild from the sources as explained in
ecos manual ?
If I can use this one, why I'm unable to debug.
I followed the instructions:

> 4) Boot the target with the redboot floppy.
> 5) Start gdb/insight on the host.
> 6) Setup gdb/insight for a Remote/Serial target at 38400 baud. You can
> do that both using the Insight console commands and using the GUI.
>    - set remotebaud 38400
>    - target remote /dev/ttyS0
>
>    At this point I have an answer from the target pc "Ignoring packet
error..."

Please help
TIA

-----