Problem with GDB over /dev/ttyS0

Hi,

Help..., I'm can't connect to my remote EDB7312 via the serial GDB
interface. The host is Linux 7.2, running GDB 5.1.1. The target is
the latest eCos, running on a EDB7312 board with RedBoot installed
in Flash.

The strange thing is that I can connect to the remote host via TCP:9000.
Also, I can "cu" and "minicom" connect to the target to talk to the
Redboot prompt. I can even connect to the target via /dev/ttyS0 when
running Angel in the ROM and using "target rdi"!  However, when I
use "target remote /dev/ttyS0", gdb just hangs. Also hangs when I use
the Insight GUI. I've made sure to use "set remotebaud 38400" to match
the setup of my board.

Another odd thing... when the gdb is hung after issuing the "target
remote" command, I can open another xterm window and "cu -l /dev/ttyS0 dir" and get the port. This obviously means that gdb hasn't even
opened the serial port.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Also, another oddity about eCos. I can download a test program via the
remote/TCP connection and execute it normally. However, when I download
my test program using the RedBoot monitor and TFTP, I get a different
result. Using a terminal emulator connected direcly to the board, I
type "load..." and then "jump start"... The test program runs very
slooooowly.   What's different about running the target directly from
the hardware vs. over GDB?

Thanks for your help.
Best,
/Jim