Re: Redboot without serial port (only eth)

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 08:14, Christoph Csebits wrote:
> >     Christoph> Now i dont want to use the serial port (porting to our
> >     Christoph> custom board, i dont have a serial port)
> >
> >     Christoph> How is the right way, disabling the serial port and do
> >     Christoph> the debugging, loading, only with its ethernet port.
> >
> > If ethernet is the only way to talk to this board then that is what
> > RedBoot will have to use. However personally I would feel somewhat
> > uncomfortable with this setup for development purposes: there is a lot
> > more that can go wrong with ethernet communication than with a serial
> > line.
>
> You are right to prefer a serial line against ethernet as debug port.
> But i dont have the choice, and it should not be a really problem,
> since i have the ethernet port working.
> What i want is to remove code that isnt necessary any longer.
> (any CDL option?)

I'd suggest not changing anything and just let the serial bits drop onto the
floor (assuming that the device _could_ have a serial port, i.e. is builtin).
RedBoot doesn't need anything from the serial port and will happily accept
incoming connections on the network as soon as everything is initialized.

We've done exactly this sort of thing for customers before, so I know that
it works just fine, albeit a bit scary :-)