Re: versioned directory paths

Andrew Lunn wrote:

> Current is used for snapshots which are in CVS.
>
> Numbered versions are used for 'official releases'. These have been
> through lots of testing, more than what happens for CVS releases. eg
> paying customers receive release with numbers, not current.

I assume you mean paying for support.

> As a paying customer i find it useful. For a while i had to support
> two different versions of eCos which had different serial device
> drivers API. I could then use the version number for conditionally
> compiled code. Its also possible to keep different versions of
> packages in the same source tree. I found this useful when developing
> newer versions of a package, but still need the old one around until
> the new one was stable etc.

Understandable. I'm considering integrating CVS snap-shots into
our local revision-control / configuration-managment system. Since
it already handles the versioning issues, it tends to make the
tree bigger, but not necessarily better.

> For CVS, which is how most of you get your sources,its all pritty
> useless. I think the original idea was to have many more 'official
> releases' like 1.3.1 and the up comming 2.0. If this happened say
> every two months and people used them instead of anonCVS, the version
> numbers would be usefull. Since its been 2 years between 1.3.1 and
> 2.0, everyone has been using anonCVS and so the versions have become
> pointless.

Yeah, 2 years is a bit distant between releases. However, at least for
my target, the stability has been good for 1.3.1.

> The documentation does go into some of these details. There are quite
> a few powerful features which are simply not used.

I must have missed that in the docs.

I'm still curious to know how the directory names are changed
during the process of "releasing". Is this a part of the "make install"
equivalent, or is it an internal RedHat process?

--
Michael N. Moran
5009 Old Field Ct.

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1