Re: Could anyone give me some suggestion Thanks!

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 10:19, HuangQiang wrote:
> Hi all:
>     I am using ARM E7T, I would like to have some external IO mapped device
> like: LCD, Keypad, CAN controller...  Is it resonable (worthy of doing so)
> to write the device driver for such ext devices? I can control the ext
> device via the memory access directly, but I would like to do it in a more
> standard way. so I plan to make the device driver. I also knew that quite a
> lot deivce driver in eCOS use two layer design, one for logical layer and
> one for the physical layer (hardware). I wondered that is there any
> available general logical layer device driver for such mapped IO devices? So
> I can concentrate on the (hardware ) physical layer device driver. Or any
> standard way for the writing the logical layer for the memory mapped IO
> devices?

The existing two-layered drivers are usually the result of generalizing
a few one-layer test implementations. It's hard to do something
Right(tm) the first time, if you have no experience with the thing.

And I don't think we presently have any memory mapped drivers (well,
there are the PCI ethernet drivers), so I suggest you just go ahead and
write your driver. Some months from now, there may appear a pattern from
your and other drivers, and we'll make a new general driver, rewriting
the old drivers to make use of it.

Jesper