Re: Support for multiple flash types

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 14:13, Grant Edwards wrote:

> It appears from the eCos source tree that only a single type of
> flash is supported.  All of my platforms have to support
> multiple types of flash (manufacturing and purchasing don't
> particularly like single-sourced parts).  In the past, I've not
> used eCos's flash driver system at all. Instead I wrote my own
> framework that detects the type of flash on the board and uses
> the appropriate set of functions to erase/burn.
>
> It would be nice if I didn't have to roll my own flash
> subsystem for my current project. How do other eCos users deal
> with this problem?

Actually, this is more a question of philosophy.  eCos is designed
to be statically configured for a particular target environment.
We have purposely avoided dynamic configuration whenever possible.
This was done both for size/speed of the resulting code, as well
as simplicity of the drivers and the system overall.

As for the FLASH devices, it would seem rare to me that a given
board design could tolerate massively different device choices.  I
could see where it might be AMD vs Fujitsu (which are very similar),
but not AMD vs Intel for example.